With historic rainfall recently in parts of Florida, it is important to know what to do when flooding becomes a concern. Not only does protecting your home from water damage become important, but protecting your family and yourself becomes important as well.
A home can quickly be restored from the damages of water damage but the lives of loved ones cannot.
Here are some flood safety tips provided by emergency officials in Florida
- Stay away from flood waters due to the possibility of currents being very strong
- Stay away from electrical lines
- Be alert for animals such as snakes, insects and loose dogs
- Move valuable items upstairs or to an elevated area
- Turn off household electricity
- Check for gas leaks if possible
- Never drive through flood waters — street flooding can conceal hidden dangers
- Watch your step for trash and debris that may have been left behind from the flooding