Call Us Today 352-505-3321
Home Flood Cleanup
Home Flood Cleanup Tips
Gainesville Home Flood CleanupAfter home flooding has occurred, the temptation to rush in and immediately tackle the cleanup is a normal response. However, you should avoid doing so until after you have taken the time to evaluate the situation, gather necessary materials, and dress appropriately with heavy boots and thick gloves. A home flood cleanup is not without risk, and it can involve accidental injury if you are not careful.
Safety Tips to Keep in Mind When Flooding OccursWhenever you conduct a home flood cleanup, you should take the time to evaluate your building for potential risks.
In particular, keep the following points in mind:
- Be aware that flood waters might carry snakes, which could be poisonous, into your business or home. Never walk barefooted through the water. If possible, wear thick, waterproof boots to prevent the possibility of a snake bite.
- Throw away food and beverages that have come into contact with the flood water. It’s not worth the health risk to save a few dollars.
- Watch for signs of crumbling walls, plaster, or paneling in the flooded area.
- Take the time to evaluate ceilings for signs of weakening.
- Turn off the electrical power in rooms that have become flooded.
- Be alert for dangerous chemicals that might have floated in with the flood water, even if they are in containers. You should carefully secure loose items that could lead to accidents.
Supplies to Have on Hand When a Flood Warning Is in Effect in Gainesville, FloridaIf a flood warning goes into effect, you might want to gather a few supplies that can come in useful should water enter your home or business. Supplies that you might need during a home flood cleanup include wet vacuums, portable sump pump, buckets, mops, and rags.
Supplies to Have on Hand When a Flood Warning Is in Effect in Gainesville, Florida
- Battery-operated radio
- Phone and charger
- Bottled water
- Plastic sheeting
- Emergency food supply
- Waterproof boots
- First-aid kit
- Daily medications
- Cash and/or credit card
Hopefully, you won’t need any of those supplies. However, if the need arises, you’ll have ready access to the things that you need.