Do you know that dirt and allergens get trapped in your upholstery, making your home unhealthy? And, the worst part is that you can’t even see this dirt with naked eyes. All you will notice is how your sofa is getting older by the day. If you want to maintain them well, you should know a few easy upholstery cleaning hacks.
If you have kids or pets at home, you must live under constant fear thebestrestoration of soiling your favorite, comfortable sofa. Though it’s best to employ a reliable cleaning & restoration company for the upkeep of your upholstery, some simple upholstery maintenance tips will save you money and time. Whether you have upholstery made of cotton, linen, silk, wool, or leather, there is a solution to maintain any furniture in your home.
Try these upholstery cleaning hacks for the best upkeep of your furniture.
- To begin with, vacuum your upholstery regularly. It takes away most of the dust sitting on the surface. Besides, if you have pets, you will have to deal with pet hair. And, if you have kids, be sure to find food crumbs stuck in the corners. Vacuuming will take care of most of these issues.
- Use a scrubbing brush to run through the fabric before you begin vacuuming. This will loosen the fibers and allow the vacuum cleaner to suck up the dust settled deep in the upholstery material.
- For regular stain cleaning, you can simply mix dishwashing liquid with water and dab it with a clean microfiber cloth. When the fabric is wet and absorbs the cleaning agent, then blot it with a dry cloth. You will notice how your faded sofa will become as good as new.
- If you have stained your sofa with any juice or coffee, mix one tablespoon of white vinegar with 2/3rd cup rubbing alcohol and repeat the dab and blot method until the stain disappears.
- Dig into your kitchen, and you will find stuff that can help you clean that nasty grease stain off your couch. People swear by baking soda. Sprinkle baking soda on the stain and allow it to sit for about 15 minutes. Vacuum the baking soda. Then dab the area with a cleaning solvent on a microfiber cloth. You may also make a paste with baking soda and water, apply it to the stain and let it sit for about 30 minutes. Dip and wring a microfiber cloth in water and scrub clean the baking soda paste mildly off your couch or chair.
- If you have pets, their hair sticks on the fabric. Many a time, vacuum cleaners are also unable to get rid of all the hair. There is a simple hack to handle this. Tape. Make a mitten out of the tape with the sticky side on the outside. Then gently rub your hand on the fabric, and all the hair will stick to the tape, leaving your sofa clean.
- If you have a leather sofa, you can use these easy leather upholstery cleaning tips to make the couch look clean and new. Mix half a cup of olive oil with 1/4th cup of white vinegar into a spray bottle and spray over the affected area. Rub it with a microfiber cloth, and you will have a clean leather couch. Alternatively, you may also rub coconut oil with a clean cloth onto the leather surface, and you will notice how easily your couch will shine like new.
Things to Remember While Using the Upholstery Cleaning Hacks
- Attend to the stain as soon as possible. If left for more time, the stain will become more challenging to remove.
- Don’t rub the stain too much. Dab it with the cloth and the cleaning agent. Rubbing will smudge and spread the stain.
- Test the cleaning agent in a hidden area before using it to ensure it won’t harm your fabric. Upholsteries are made of different materials. These upholstery fabric cleaning tips may work for one fabric and may not for another.
Why You Should Consider Professional Upholstery Cleaning
You can obviously not get your upholstery cleaned by professionals every day. It would help if you used upholstery maintenance tips to keep your furniture neat and clean on a daily basis. But you must consider taking professional help once in a while. Here’s why.
- You have to deep clean your furniture to get rid of the trapped dust. The accumulation of dust fades the color of the fabrics making the furniture look old.
- Professional cleaning removes any foul odor completely.
- If there are stains that you can’t clean at home, you can leave them to the experts.
- Allergens are in the air, but they settle and get trapped in your upholstery. Get rid of them by hiring professional help.
Now that you know the upholstery cleaning hacks use them to clean your furniture regularly. But get in touch with companies offering upholstery cleaning in Gainesville FL, to have them deep cleaned periodically.